Commitment to the Community
Creighton Dining Services at Creighton University is committed to the Jesuit, Catholic mission of being Women and Men for and with Others. Through our various programs, we strive to serve the greater Omaha community in concert with Creighton faculty, staff, and students! For example, annually we hold a peanut butter and jelly sandwich drive which gives us an opportunity to involve the Creighton community in our efforts in making and donating the sandwiches around the Omaha metro. In addition to the pb&j sandwich drive, we volunteer our time at the Siena Francis House by preparing and serving meals as well as donating supplies.
Sustainability at Creighton
We recognize that we have a responsibility to use our resources wisely and to protect them for future generations. Natural materials, foods, and packaging, proper farming and trade practices, and innovative recycling programs are just a few of our sustainable practices.
- We purchase all our Milk & Dairy products from Hiland Dairy, a locally family & farmer owned company in Omaha, NE
- Creighton Dining currently sources produce from Loffredo; a local company here in Omaha
- We purchase Nebraska beef when available from Farmland in Lincoln, NE and Omaha Steaks
- We eliminated individual bottles of condiments from each dining table, and now use bulk dispensers to significantly reduce plastic waste
- We have gone tray-less throughout campus, which has reduced energy, water, and chemical usage
- Xpressnap Dispensers are used throughout campus. These dispensers meet Green product requirements, are natural, third party certified, and the napkins are 100% unbleached and recycled paper
- We implemented the Ecolab Apex Dishwashing System which combines technology and products designed to save water and energy, and minimize the impact of products on the environment
- Ecolab Green Products are used all over campus in the dining, retail, and catering facilities.
- We recycle cardboard, cans, and bottles
- We make use of natural light in all of our resident dining facilities
- Vegan and vegetarian dishes are served daily on campus which cuts back on water usage
- Reusable dishware and utensils are used in all of our resident dining facilities
- Reusable bags and mugs/cups are encouraged on campus
- We use LeanPath to track and reduce our kitchen food waste